If the Layout Presets don't have what you need to achieve your vision, the Collage Maker has a Create Your Own layout option for a free form approach. You can also use the Create Your Own layout with the Collage Wizard, to minimize the customization options available when you don't need as many customization features.
Step 1: Add the photos you wish to use in the collage to the Image Manager.
Step 2: On the Layouts tab, select Create Your Own.
Step 3: Resize your canvas in the Customize tab in the left-hand menu or use the on-canvas handles to grab the corner of the collage to resize the canvas.
Pro Tip: It is highly recommended that you set your canvas size first before adding in any layers. If you resize after adding in your layers, the layers may not resize proportionally the collage. However, you can always select your layers as a group and resize the group accordingly.
Step 4 (optional): In the Customize menu, you have the option to change the color of your canvas.
Step 5 - Add a Layer:
- Image Layers: To add an image layer from the Image Manager, click and drag or double click the thumbnail into the canvas and place as needed. Additionally, you can right-click the thumbnail and select Add as Layer from the pop-up menu. Once you have your layer added, you can resize, edit as well as crop the layer on canvas and customize them using the Layer Properties.
- Graphic Layers: To add in a Graphic Layer select the Graphics tab. Search our collection of graphics using the Search Graphics button or add your own graphics by clicking Computer. Your selected graphics will appear in the Your Graphics section of the Graphics tab. Click and drag your graphic onto the canvas. Click on the graphic and the Graphic Properties to customize the graphic.
- Text Layers: Click the Text tab to add text to your collage. Choose from one of our curated Text Patches or click Add Text at the top of the menu. After adding your text, you can further customize the text by clicking in the text box using the Text Properties menu.
Create Your Own + Collage Wizard
Selecting Collage Wizard after choosing the Create Your Own layout option instructs the Collage Wizard to limit your customization and editing options to those in line with the Create Your Own layout. The Collage Wizard will generate several options based on the images you have selected from the Image Manager. Be sure to select an orientation (landscape or portrait) that is closest to your desired finished look, before customizing! Once Collage Wizard is selected, follow the same steps above.
Making Edits to Your Layout
You have the option to edit and customize your layout once the images are populated in your collage:
- Move a Layer: If you need to swap or move images, you will need to manually move the images into place and resize accordingly. Images will not snap into place or responsively resize like they do with a grid layout.
- Group Layers: You can select multiple layers to create a group. Easily resize and move your group. Just be sure that your layers are not locked. Freeform scaling and rotation will not work if your group contains a text layer.
- Lock/Hide a Layer: Lock layers to prevent editing on the layer or hide them to remove them from your canvas, so you can work on other aspects of your project.
- Delete a Layer: Right-click select the desired layer and select the Delete button on your keyboard. Each layer can be edited directly, and you can move between layers to make edits on one without directly affecting another.