A Vignette is a great way to highlight the subject of your photo and add drama to a portrait. It creates a darkened border around your image and draws the eye to the subject instead of the surrounding background. The Vignette tool can be located in the Photo Editor section of the app.
This tool is only available for BeFunky Plus subscribers. Upgrade your subscription here!
Step 1: Open your image in the Photo Editor, go to the Edit menu, and find Vignette under the Essentials section.
Step 2: Choose between radial, square, and linear vignette shapes. This is similar to using the Funky Focus tool. Once your vignette shape is selected, you can make the following adjustments:
- Location: Click and drag anywhere inside the vignette shape to move the location of the vignette. If you are zoomed in and cannot see the edges of the vignette tool, a circle handle will appear in the center of the controls. Click and drag the center circle to move the vignette around.
- Size: Adjust the size of the inner and outer focus rings. The left and right sides control the width, and the top and bottom circles control the height. Click and drag the interior or exterior circle handles to resize the desired focus. For shallow depth of field, select a narrow point of focus in your target. For further depth, simply widen your focal point.
Pro Tip: You can also keep the aspect ratio when resizing the inner or outer vignette by holding down the Shift key while dragging the respective circle.
- Orientation: The vignette can be rotated by dragging the outer circle handle.
- Color: Click the color swatch to change the color of the area that is faded around your subject. Click the color swatch next to the Inner Color or Outer Color to change the color of the area that is faded around your subject. Additionally, you can control the opacity of each color.
- Blend Mode: This changes how the vignette is applied to your photo. Read more about Blend Modes.
- Opacity: This changes the transparency of the overall vignette. Drag the slider to the left to decrease or to the right to increase the opacity.
Pro Tip: While working on your vignette, press the Space Bar to hide the on-canvas controls and get a quick preview of how it looks.
Step 3: Click Apply to save your changes. Continue adding to and editing your creation. If you're done, be sure to save your project!
Looking for more inspiration? Check out another tutorial:
Your Ultimate Guide To Vignette Effects
Create a Gradient Background With the Vignette Tool