Depth of field is a tool that many professional photographers use to play with the focus of their work. Funky Focus allows you to achieve the same effect without the need for a professional background. You can create a tilt-shift effect that blurs the background and puts the focus on the subject of your image.
This tool is only available for BeFunky Plus subscribers. Upgrade your subscription here!
Step 1: Open your photo in the Photo Editor.
Step 2: Select the Edit section from the left-hand menu. Then, select Funky Focus.
Step 3: Choose between radial, square, and linear focus shapes. This is similar to using the Vignette tool. Once your focus shape is selected, you can make the following adjustments:
- Location: Click and drag anywhere inside the focus shape to move the location of the focus.
- Size: Adjust the size of the inner and outer focus rings. The left and right sides control the width, and the top and bottom circles control the height. Click and drag the interior or exterior circle handles to resize the desired focus. For shallow depth of field, select a narrow point of focus in your target. For further depth, simply widen your focal point.
Pro Tip: You can also keep the aspect ratio when resizing the inner or outer focus by holding down the Shift key while dragging the respective handle circle. Press the O key to show your original image on the canvas.
- Orientation: The focus can be rotated by dragging the outer circle handles.
- Blur Amount: Controls the intensity of the blur effect on your image. Drag the slider to the left to decrease or to the right to increase the applied blur.
- Gamma Correction: Adjusts the overall brightness of the image. This is best suited for bright images or ones with a definite light source and shine.
- Options: Select the Reverse icon to flip which parts of your image remain in focus or blurred. Check out the Black & White or Mosaic options as well to give some more depth and texture to your focus area.
Pro Tip: While working on your blur amount, press the Space Bar to hide the on-canvas controls and get a quick preview of how it looks.
Step 4: Click Apply to save your changes. Continue adding to and editing your creation, or if you're done be sure to save your project.