Removing and replacing the background of your images has never been easier with the A.I. enhanced Background Remover. Not only can it easily detect and separate the subject from the current background, but you can effortlessly create transparent or solid backgrounds for product images or seamlessly swap out a lackluster background with something new. The Background Remover has got your needs covered all in one tool.
This tool is only available for BeFunky Plus subscribers. Upgrade your subscription here!
Step 1: Choose an image with a background that you wish to edit. Images with higher contrast or subjects with a more defined edge will work better.
Step 2: Select the Background Remover tool in the Edit section of the left-hand menu. By default, the background will automatically removed displaying a transparent background.
Pro Tip: Click and drag to move the subject around the canvas.
Step 3: If you're after a transparent background and like the results, you just need to click Apply. If you're done, be sure to save your project!
Otherwise, read on to learn about all the different ways you can use the tool. We've broken it up into the different sections of the Background Remover tool.
If too much or too little of the image has been removed select the Adjust Selection menu. By default, the Show/Hide Mask option will be selected. This applies a green tint on the areas of the image that are being retained. Uncheck the Show/Hide Mask box if you do not wish to see the mask overlaying your selection.
Select the Keep or Remove button based on your needs. Adjust the brush settings and paint over the areas that need additional touch-ups. Keep will keep the parts of the image you select, while Remove will erase selections from your new image. If you overdo it, you can always return to the default with Reset.
Choose a new background by selecting the Change Background menu. Select the background option of your choice:
- Transparent - this is the default selection and will place your subject on a transparent background.
- Color - Places your subject on a uniform background color. Select from any of the preset colors or to select a custom color click on the first color box to open the Color Picker.
- Image - Clicking this takes you to the Select Background menu. Choose from our curated backgrounds or upload one of your own. Selecting Stock Images shows you even more Featured Backgrounds but you can also search the entire library.
Once you select your image you can make edits to the background by selecting the Edit Background icon on the thumbnail of your background in the Select Background screen. When you're in this menu, clicking and dragging on the canvas will move the background instead of the subject.
Pro Tip: After selecting a background, you can also get to the settings by clicking Edit Background from the Change Background menu.
- Adjust: Here you can manipulate the new background by adjusting the amount of Blur as well as the Scale (zoom) of the image. You can also select the check box to horizontally file the new background image.
- Colors: This menu allows you to change the luminosity, contrast, saturation, and temperature of the background. It's very helpful for matching the background to your subject.
A drop shadow adds depth to your subject and can make it appear more natural in a new background. It's also incredibly useful for making eye-catching product photography.
- When you enter this menu, a default drop shadow is automatically applied to the subject.
- Use can then use sliders to adjust the Distance (from the subject), Angle, Blur, Size, Density, and Opacity (transparency).
- Click on the Color box to select the color of the drop shadow using the Color Picker.
- Uncheck the Enable Drop Shadow box to remove the drop shadow.