The Blur tool in our Edit tools, is a versatile tool to help draw focus on your image. Whether you wish to blur photos to create depth of field, add surreal effects, or draw your audience’s attention to what matters most, this tool can help you out.
Step 1: Open your image in the Photo Editor. Select the Edit menu and choose Blur.
Step 2: Choose Adjust from the Blur tool menu, and select the desired type of Blur you wish to apply to your image. You can select from Normal, Motion, and Radial. Each type of Blur will have its own unique setting options. Use the sliders to adjust each setting.
- Normal: applies a flat blur to the overall image.
- Motion: applies a linear directional blur to the image. Move the Direction slider to the direction you want your blur to go.
- Radial: creates a swirled circular blur. Move the Direction slider to control the direction of the swirl.
Pro Tip: When working with images that contain a transparent background there will be an additional option to apply the effect to the transparency. Select the Affect Transparency box to enable this option. Adjust the Edge Density slider to control the fade and opacity of the edge.
Step 3: Continue customizing your effect to get your desired look. You have several options for adjusting the focus and effect of the Blur.
- Horizontal Focal Point: Adjusts the horizontal positioning of the blur focus.
- Vertical Focal Point: Adjusts the vertical positioning of the blur focus.
- Amount: Controls the intensity of the blur effect on your image.
- Gamma Correction: Adjusts the overall brightness of the image. This is best suited for bright images or ones with a definite light source and shine.
- Erase: Removes or applies the effect to certain areas of your image, while keeping depth of field with further options for your brush settings.
Step 4: Click Apply to save your changes.
Step 5: Continue adding to and editing your creation. If you're done, be sure to save your project!
Looking for more inspiration? Check out another tutorial:
Blur Images And Create Depth Of Field With The Blur Tool
Create Movement With the Blur Tool